Gift Certificates Pro
Gift Certificates Pro lets you sell gift certificates and store credits for use in your online store, or offline in physical store.
To customized the gift certificate email template, copy ‘templates/voucher_email.php’ to your theme directory and edit as you see fit.
For example, if you use TwentyTen theme, copy the file to ‘wp-content/themes/twentyten/templates/voucher_email.php’
This plugin adds a new meta box to all product editing pages.
The meta box, labeled “Gift Certificate / Store Credit / Coupon Codes”, allows you to optionally create gift certificates, store credits, or coupon codes when the product is purchased.
Option fields allow you to control all necessary aspects of the offer.
If you have enabled the product to provide a gift certificate, store credit, or coupon code, then when someone purchases the product and successfully pays for their purchase, the plugin will automatically generate the necessary codes and email them to the buyer. Optionally, during checkout, the buyer can define a recipient for the codes, in which case the codes would be emailed directly to recipient.
The flexibility of the plugin allows you to:
– Sell gift certificates / store credits as standalone product
– Offer gift certificates / store credits / coupon codes with the purchase of a product.
* To sell gift certificates as a standlone item, create a new product, enter a title, write a description, add images if you prefer, set the product type to SIMPLE, and check the box labeled “Enable gift certificates / coupons with this product”, and configure the related options. Set the Discount Type to Gift Certificate / Store Credit and then set the Coupon Amount to be the amount the certificate should be worth. Set the other options as you see fit.
Be careful if you choose to set an expiration date for gift certificates and store credits and check your local laws first! Some locales prohibit the expiration of “gift cards, gift certificates, store credits” etc. Overall, you should probably avoid setting an expiration date for gift certificates / store credits.
* To provide gift certificates / store credits / coupon codes when a product is purchased, create a product as you normally would, check the box labeled “Enable gift certificates / coupons with this product”, and configure the associated settings as you see fit.
Note that if a product is enabled to provide gift certificates / store credits / coupon codes then ONE unique code will be generated for EACH quantity of that item in the order. So for example, if you have one product that is a gift certificate for $50 and someone buys 3 of them in their order, then 3 unique codes will be generated each worth $50. Likewise, if a product is enabled to provide a coupon code when the product is purchased, ONE unique code will be generated for EACH quantity of that item in the order.
*** Important Notes ***
– WARNING: YOU CANNOT SELL STANDALONE GIFT CERTIFICATES / STORE CREDITS AS A VARIABLE PRODUCT TYPE! If you want to sell standalone gift certificates (e.g. gift certificates where the purpose of the product itself is to sell a gift certificate or store credit) then YOU MUST define those gift certificate product types as SIMPLE products. You can however add a gift certificate as an added value to a variable product type. Just keep in mind that you can only define one set of parameters for the gift certificate per product. This means that if you offer a gift certificate / store credit as added value to a variable product, then no matter which variation is purchased by a customer, the customer will receive a gift certificate / store credit in the amount defined by the Coupon Amount field in the product editor’s related meta box.
– Gift Certificates / Store Credit / Coupon Codes are generated immediately and sent to the recipient ( the buyer or the buyer’s chosen recipient ) after the order status is set to Completed. Each code is sent in a seperate message, so the recipient will receive one email message per code that is generated. These messages are only sent to the recipient ONE TIME.
– If you inadvertantly change an order status from Completed to Pending or any other default WooCommerce value other than Completed then the previously generated coupon codes will be unpublished and set to Draft status, thus effectively rendering them unusuable. When you change the order status back to Completed then those existing coupon codes will be re-published and immediately usable by whomever knows the codes. Note that email notice messages containing the codes are only sent ONE TIME, thus if you change an order from Complete to Pending, then back to Complete again, the notices are not resent again!
– When you mark an order as Cancelled or Refunded, any gift certificate amount or store credit used to place the order is immediately refunded back to the corresponding voucher code, AND the voucher is re-marked as Published. This latter note means that if you set a gift certificate / store credit to be removed when the balance goes to zero, then that item will be put in the trash and not completed deleted, and when you cancel or refund an order then any related gift certificate / store credit codes will be taken out of the trash and republished. Thus you not delete coupons from the trash unless you’re absolutely certain that they are not related to any order that might be refunded or cancelled! WARNING: This could possibly lead to loss of revenue IF you refund or cancel an order ( which results in a credit to the gift certificate / store credit ) and the customer then reuses the code to make another purchase ( whereupon the amount is deducted from the gift certificate / store credit balance ) and you later mark the previous order as Complete again – there may not be enough credit on the gift certificate / store credit code for you to recover your entire balance due! To safeguard against this condition, periodically review you coupon codes to determine if any have a negative balance. If any do have a negative balance then the customer owes you money.
– WARNING: Note that coupon codes have the buyer or receipients email address attached to them. Therefore if you change the associated email address then whichever customer has the new email address will see the code and available credit on their My Account page! If you delete the associate email address entirely then no customer will see the code or available credit on their My Account page however this does not eliminate the ability for someone to use the code if they know what the code is and the code is in Published status.
– NOTE: All gift certificates and coupon code are available for review and editing under the WooCommerce -> Coupons admin menu page. When viewing the list of coupons the Coupon Amount field will reflect the remaining balance available for Gift Certificate / Store Credit items.